Saturday, January 9, 2016

Dress Transformation: Fitted V-neck Shirt

BEFORE 
 AFTER

This dress was bought a while back at the Salvation Army and I didn't' know what to do with it so I experimented and this happened!

So the first thing I did was just cut the dress apart. I separated the back from the front and the back was two pieces so I separated those too.
After doing that, I folded the front piece of the dress in half, right sides inside.




I used a fitted crop top as my template and traced it.
Using the piece I just cut out, I fold it in half again and used it to make my back piece. (sorry it's blurry!)
 Then I just cut it. If you're new to cutting fabric, I recommend you to use pins to hold the pieces together.
 I realized that I didn't need to cut the back pieces apart....and ended up messing up. I fixed it by simply rehemming the hem on the other side.
 After doing that, I sewed the back pieces together.
Placing the two pieces  right sides together, I sew down the shoulders and sides. 
Originally, I was going to make a mock-neck but i forgot to make a smaller neck so I went ahead and cut a V in the front. It's better to cut the V before you sew the front and back together but I realized too late that the mockneck wouldn't work.

 To make the V-neck, I fold the front in half and mark how low I want the V to go and simply traced a V up to the neck then cut it out.



After hemming, I cut out the extra fabric at the V-neck area.

You can leave it at this, or go on and make the straps for the V-neck. I just used the old straps on the dress.
I just the shirt and figured out where I wanted the straps and hand sewed them on. Easy as that! The shirt is now all doneee.

Finished look


No comments:

Post a Comment